Lucky escape for Coco

3rd February 2016

Amaryllis poisoning

Most of us are aware of the dangers of lilies to cats but, we have recently had a cat who had eaten an amaryllis flower. These plant while not as toxic as lilies, are part of the lily family and can make your cat quite ill.

Luckily Coco’s owner had spotted that she had eaten the flower and quickly brought her to us for treatment. After 24 hours on intravenous fluids and several blood tests we are happy to report that she is doing fine.

Signs to look out for include;

  • Abdominal pain
  • Excessive salivation
  • Vomiting